I spent Christmas at my site in Tovuz. I sewed stockings for myself and everyone in my host family, so we hung those up the night before Christmas next to our New Years tree which we put up early so it could also be my Christmas tree. Explaining the concept of stockings is difficult, I'm just going to throw that out there. I told my family that Santa was going to come and fill them while we slept, but, as I said in my last post, Santa doesn't do that stuff here. Everyone kept telling me basically that's nice, but since he's not going to come, what happens? My nei
After we opened our stockings in the morning, my family all went off to school while I stayed home and made stewed apples to bring to another volunteer's house where everyone from nearby was getting
At our volunteer party, we sat around and cooked and ate food all day. Our spread included cookies, fruit, candy, deviled eggs, potato salad, and jambalaya. Not really what I usually eat for Christmas, but it was really good. It was nice to see everyone and be with other Americans for Christmas (so they won't ask questions like what will happen if Santa dies haha).
The day after Christmas was my birthday party (my real birthday is a religious holiday here that marks a day when a lot of people were killed so it wasn't really the best day for a party). My party was about 7 hours of a constant stream of guests coming and eating with m
Then came New Years for which I traveled down to Baku to meet up with a ton of other Peace Corps volunteers. My throat hurts and one night I almost froze to death sleeping on a really disgusting floor in a cheap hotel, but it was so worth it. This little vacation was just what I needed! I got to eat food like McDonalds (yes, we have 3 McDonalds in Baku) and nachos and we celebrated at this Irish pub place. And I got to see all my friends, which was great because after seeing so many of them every day during training, to now be at site without them is sad. And I got to meet a lot more of the AZ6's (the group of volunteers that swore in last year).
Alright, that's all I've got for now. In a few hours I'm going to take the night train back up to Tovuz. On my night train down, I ended up in a different compartment than all my friends and woke up to have a creepy guy sitting on the bed across from me staring at me. Nice. But a conductor came along and gave him an earful about how he shouldn't be sitting there and made him go away, so no harm done! So here's hoping that this night will be creeper free!
Happy New Year! :)
ReplyDeleteI just spent the past few moments reading through your blog (and no, you have no idea who I am!). I just stumbled upon your blog after searching Google for blogs in Azerbaijan. I live in Vancouver Canada where we're having the Olympics in a few weeks. As a precursor to the Olympics, a bunch of local businesses got together to install a sort of "flag walk" over the sidewalks - basically covering the sidewalks downtown with flag emblems of all the counties participating in the Olympics. Well just outside of my apartment is the Azerbaijan flag, and even stranger is that I guessed it correctly without having seen it before. Because of that I figure, "what the heck, I really don't know much about Azerbaijan... but I'd love to learn. I wonder if somebody's blogging there."
And voila!
hey jessbess!
ReplyDeleteso many holidays in a row! the cakes are beautiful! and i'm so happy you got a birthday party! i'm sorry i havent called you in forever, its been a little hectic hear (don't know if you heard about the shenanigans over the past week but yikes). probably not as crazy as your life though, so i guess its no real excuse.
anywho, i hope new years was fun and that you aren't lonely up at your post!!
p.s. nice creepy story, i feel really comfortable with you travelling on the train again...
love, kimmy
i read your blog at last. i miss you!
ReplyDelete